Ooma Telo is breakthrough device, allowing you to make calls to anywhere within the United States for free. It includes Caller-ID, call-waiting and 911 service. According to Ooma reviews, you only need to pay for applicable taxes and fees (around $3.50 per month). All you have to do to make Ooma Telo work is to hook up the device to your existing phone and to high-speed internet connection. No need to install any kind of software. No need to follow any hardware specifications. That’s it. All you need is your existing telephone and high-speed internet access and you’re set. The Ooma Telo is listed at $199.99 and will include a 60-day free trial to Ooma Premier. You can use it with an Ooma Telo handset, wireless adapter, and Bluetooth adapter for expanded use (not included with the Ooma Telo).
Below are some of Ooma Telo’s pros according to various Ooma reviews:
- In order for a free call using Ooma Telo to come through, the party you are calling does not need to have Ooma Telo too. All the calls you make, to any number in the United States, will be free of charge once you have Ooma Telo set up. No one else needs to subscribe to anything but you.
- If you buy an Ooma Telo in the US for someone who lives internationally and has high-speed internet service then you can talk for free.
- Ooma Telo is very easy to use so anyone can use it. Taking advantage of auto-configuration technology, setup generally takes less than 15 minutes and using the system is even simpler! All you have to do is use your phone as you normally would. The only difference now is that you dont have to worry about phone bills, notes an Ooma review.
- An Ooma review highlights that the Ooma Telo is conveniently independent of your computer. It is a stand-alone, always-on, low-power device that will allow you to save as much as $20 a month on your energy bills since you don’t have to leave your computer on in order to receive and make calls.
Some of the things that may make you think twice about getting Ooma Telo include:
- Like getting a new phone line, you will be provided with a new phone number. Those in Hawaii though will have to pay a surcharge of $29.99 every year for every number they have (the Ooma Telo can accommodate up to four phones!) because of the 808 area code used in Hawaii phone numbers. One 808 phone number will be provided for free if you upgrade your subscription to Ooma Premier.
- You can also keep your current phone number while using Ooma Telo most of the time. You just have to pay $39.99 as a one-time processing fee. Sign up for Ooma Premier though and it’s free! Ooma Premier costs $119.99 a year though. Processing for your existing phone number to be retained can take up to three weeks. During that time, make sure that you retain your phone access until the transfer has been completed, reminds an Ooma review.
- You can make calls to someone who lives internationally but does not have a Ooma Telo but rates can vary some are better then others.
- High start-up cost
- Limit of 5000 minutes (outbound calls) per month